Voters have approved the formation of a new Transportation Development District that would provide local funding for a streetcar extension through Midtown to UMKC. 70.11% of votes cast were in favor of forming the TDD.
- KSHB – Voters approve measure that could help fund south KC Streetcar expansion
- KMBC – Voters OK first step in expanding KC streetcar line
- Kansas City Star – Voters approve new taxing district for Kansas City streetcar expansion
- Kansas City Business Journal – Vote moves KC streetcar down the line to expansion
- KCUR – Voters Approve Kansas City Streetcar Extension District, But Hurdles Still Lie Ahead
The immediate next steps are for 16th Circuit Court Judge Dale Youngs to issue an Order forming the TDD, as well as an Order calling for the next election to vote on seven at-large Directors to govern the TDD. The Orders will contain details about how candidates can file for the TDD Board of Directors. Public notices will also follow. The Kansas City Board of Election Commissioners is responsible for administering the Director election, per the TDD Act.
In addition, Kansas City voters will weigh in on two streetcar-related petition initiatives on the Tuesday, August 8 ballot. Neither of these was put forth by the Kansas City Regional Transit Alliance. Please read our statements on Question 1 and Question 2.
More information about the Midtown/UMKC streetcar extension is at http://kcrta.org/streetcar/.